Skip to main content

To Speak or Not to Speak


We don’t even have to turn the channel to the news station to understand what’s going on in our country and around the world. Most of our news we get from social media and many people have voiced their opinion and where they stand on current events, political spectrum, and so on. Normally, in past times I would be one of those individuals writing away on my social media platforms my perspective, my opinion, and my stance on whatever was going on. Most of the time it wasn’t according to norm, my mentality did not match up with many of my peers therefore causing plenty of friends to “unfriend” me. I didn’t do such things intentionally, I simply wanted to voice where I stood in those events/situations and it appeared that some couldn’t stand it, which is completely fine. I don’t need people to agree with me, I don’t need people to like me, but I would expect people to respect my perspective even though we may disagree.

Nowadays I think more than two times before posting my opinion simply because I got tired of debating in front of an entire world (since my social media isn’t private). But somehow even some of my simplest of posts get taken out of context and a small debate ensues on my wall, which I have no issue with and I tend to stop after a reply or two. Now I just look around at what others posts and begin to pray; I see how hurt many of my friends and family are, I see where they stand, I see their anger, frustration, pain, sorrow and every emotion out there. Sometimes I don’t agree with some of their perspectives but I ask God to help me understand why they feel the way they do and it’s been very eye opening.

It seems as though there is more turmoil in our country now than there was just a couple months ago, and the biggest issue that has been discussed is racism. But I’m not here to give my opinion on all the current events that have been going on, rather, I want to explain why I’ve decided to stay silent on the issue or why it seems that I’ve been avoiding/ignoring the things that have been going on. It goes a little something like this and I will try to keep it as short as possible:

It all boils down to a chapter in the bible: James chapter 3 (please check it out when you have time). What we speak will either bring life or destroy it, meaning that we will either encourage a person with what we speak or we will tear them down. Everyone wants to voice their opinion but nobody is listening, we’re yelling at each other because we disagree and we’re not giving room to come to an understanding. Which is why I had to take a step back and do what James 1:19 says “…be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.” At this point, it’s not my place to speak about certain things rather it is to listen. As much as I would like to debate others and voice my opinion this is where I must stay silent for a moment, I must observe what others are saying and feeling, I must look at what I can do at a personal level to bring about change and reflect the love of God instead of causing division. Everything going on in the world will not disappear from one day to another, and this is where I will give my opinion on what we can do to bring about change: let’s stop looking at everybody else, their wrongs, where they stand, how we disagree with each other but instead let’s look within ourselves and begin there. Let’s look at what we can do within our immediate family to have peace within our homes, let’s look at what we can do in our relationship with our friends to encourage one another and stop criticizing each other, let’s look at our workplace/school and see what we can do to reflect love with everyone we encounter, yes reflect love even to those who don’t like us…if we can work in those three areas, I believe we can begin to bring change to everything going around the world. So before we can make a difference in our entire country, first let’s make a difference in our homes, with our friends and at work/school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Okay to Not Know

In this society we feel the need to know the answers to everything. You know how as kids we used to ask why? Well, we still do so except we’re not as annoying about it. The most difficult time I’ve had is waiting for God to answer those “why” moments, and He’s answered a few but others I’m still unsure about. One question I tend to ask a lot is why do some people go through depression in their life? What causes them to feel that way? I’ve never been in that situation where I could say I’ve been depressed but I’ve been feeling some sort of way recently that is a bit scary. I don’t know how many people will actually read this or who’s actually been in a place of depression, but recently I’ve been praying more to God and I’ve felt tremendous joy, but then suddenly I start crying out of nowhere, and it’s not tears of joy. I begin to feel pain in my spirit, and I don’t understand why that is. All I can do now is continue to pray, even through those moments of pain. I don’t know why God is

Worthless

Is a term too many of us have labeled ourselves at one point or another. The reasons behind why we feel that way are too many to list out, but somehow we fall back to think that we are worthless. It’s this “ugh” feeling in the pit of our stomach and as much as we try to get rid of it or ignore it, it seems to keep coming back. I was all too familiar with this feeling as a teenager, key word, WAS . I was able to move past this feeling, move past this moment of “worthlessness.” It wasn’t from one day to another, rather it was a process that hurt but I found healing. No, it wasn’t medication, it wasn’t witchcraft, it wasn’t weed, it wasn’t alcohol or any other drug that did the trick, it was the love of God. To those who believe and follow God will understand what I mean, but to those who see God as simply a supreme being or higher power are probably skeptical as to how this “love of God” can take away feeling worthless. There’s a book in the Bible called Hosea that you should check ou

Take a Breather

I've learned this the hard way, one too many times. There are moments where I feel like I need to get so many things done with school, with ministry, with work and not to mention my social life, that I forget to take a step back and breathe. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with a mental breakdown, unlike others who have unfortunately made it to that point. The classic verse that comes to mind is found in Matthew 11:28 (If I may paraphrase) Jesus is speaking and basically invites people who are tired and carry heavy burdens/issues to go to Him so that they may find rest. It's so easy to go on social media and vent your life away to anybody that will listen. You'll post a huge paragraph on Facebook, a meme on Instagram that describes your situation, you'll get on Twitter and post up 10 tweets back to back in order to vent, you'll get on snapchat and tell your whole story, but when do you ever go to God before any of this? I've never been one to post a